Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Without Bells and Whistles

I apologies for not blogging in about a month. And then when I do blog, bombarding you with a bunch of different blogs! I've been pretty busy finishing up the past semester of school and getting ready for a Russian Language Celebration party in which I, Jamie and other students sang and danced to 3 songs (I might add that the songs where in Russian and were VERY FAST!!) (Pictures- 3 Japanese students, myself in a Russian get-up and Jamie as "Baba Valya")

Praise God that the singing and dancing is over (along with the 3 practices a week) and that a 2 week break from classes has arrived! I had a great Christmas with the Orner's. God blessed us with good movies, good gifts, good food and good fellowship. I even watched my family open up gifts on Skype :)

There really aren't too many bells and whistles for Christmas here in Russia. Most are busy getting ready for the big New Year's celebration. No businesses were closed. Many students where still in class. And even in the church service last night, there was only about half the people there usually is on a Sunday morning. The traditions of Christmas (as I know them) where hard to come by.

In a way, I'm glad that there haven't been any bells and whistles. It has given me a chance to be reminded of what it's all about. It's about a King who became a helpless infant out of love for man. It's about God's Son who became a man out of faithfulness to His Father. It's about the biggest surrender ever – a surrender of a heavenly dwelling, a setting aside of divine power and – when He became my sin – a spiritual separation between the Son to His Father.

My we think on Christ's sacrifice – and may it cause us to run with endurance the race that is set before us!

Hebrews 12:1-3 “...let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and prefecture of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

No comments: