Sunday, November 22, 2009

400 year anniversary of “Baptism”

So today the local church I attend celebrated 400 years of "baptism". (By this, they are referring to the Baptist denomination.) I must admit, I did not deem this "monument" worthy enough to write on my calendar. Though I have nothing against Baptists and find myself lining up with them on many, if not most, issues regarding Scripture, I am not Baptist.

The word "Baptist" in Russia has many nasty connotations – since propaganda about the denomination has been spread by the government since the Soviet era. (For example; some believe that Baptists actually practice baby sacrifice.) If I were Baptist, I would not want to draw attention to the fact that I am part of the Baptist denomination. Call me chicken, but I don't even like to admit to people here that I attend a Baptist church. I don't think the name of the church I attend is important and I would much rather draw attention to my Savior and His Gospel then some profession of faith.

So, I found it odd that my local church would celebrate this anniversary by holding an "evangelistic outreach". I applaud them for attempting to hold some type of outreach (a concept fairly foreign to the Russian church). The music was exceptional, a short video on the history of the Baptist church in Russia was shown, a special speaker shared the Gospel (of sorts) and a testimony was given. But none-church-goers didn't exactly flock to the 400 years of "Baptism" celebration.

I understand that my Baptist friends are tired of humiliation. They desperately wish to clear their name of ridiculous misconceptions. They want people to understand what Baptists are really like. I am happy that my fellow brothers and sisters celebrated their profession of faith. But I couldn't help but think the whole event really seemed to miss the point.

My prayer for Russia is not that the name of Baptists' would be cleared, but that the name of Jesus would be made famous.

Pray for Russia. Pray for her Church to know how to reach out and relate to people and clearly share the Gospel. Pray for Russian believers to seek and promote relationship not church and traditions. And, above all else, pray that no matter how inadequate we men are to be God's representatives, that He would continue to do His work of drawing people to Himself.

No comments: