Monday, May 18, 2009

S’mores in Siberia

Last weekend I went to “the beach” with a group of people from church. It was at the Big Sea (translated literally) just outside our suburb – it’s really just a big reservoir, but I didn’t mind, having grown up in Wyoming!I wasn’t planning on going because of my need to do homework and sleep but Lena talked me into it and I actually brought my homework with me! I also took along the graham crackers, Hershey’s chocolate bars and marshmallows that came in my birthday package a while back (I had been saving them for such an occasion).

While we were standing around fixing sandwiches and hot dogs over the camp fire one guy asked me “In American movies I see people roasting little white things over the camp fire. What are those?” Wanting to keep the marshmallows a surprise I just answered “maybe someday you’ll get to try one.”The s’mores were a hit! Next time we’re going to experiment with Russian marshmallows (closer to that of a Circus Peanut) and some thin cookies!We played volleyball (stood in a circle and volleyed the ball). Anyone who’s seen me play knows I’m no stud – but I sure felt like one compared to my dear soccer playing friends! There were only a few times the volley lasted 4 hits – but I will admit they weren’t bad at kicking and head-butting the ball.They asked me if I knew of any games that would be fun to play. I decided to give the “Hwaa Game” a try – a game my college buddy, Nelson made up. (It involves speed and rhythm while making ridiculously stupid karate noises - for further explanation view the video :) ) They seemed to like it - despite some pretty pathetic "hwaa" and "highya" noises!
It was a lot of fun to just hanging out with friends – they even helped me with my homework!

3 comments:

janiceorner said...

what a fun w/e...i enjoyed getting caught up on your blog. how special to share your smores with your friends. i remember once in South Africa having tacos for everyone...they thot it was crazy to eat with your hands.

brenda said...

And I thought sending the fixin's for s'mores was a dumb idea but tried it anyway. Now I know how God uses the simple things to bless! And that was before I knew having campfires and cookouts was a common thing over there, sweet deal!

Karis B said...

I thought of you last night and told your story of SMores in Siberia when I was at a cookout with some youth group girls at the pond last night. I love you Vanessa. Isn't it great to be serving the Lord!!!