Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Babushka Babblings: The Story of the Purple Underwear


Last week I needed to do some laundry and asked Baba T. about it in the morning before my class and she told me we would do it when I got back from class. Sure enough, right when I walked in the door she had the machine set up a ready to go (a 7 step process). I couldn't communicate to her that I was really hungry and that I was super tired from a particularly long day of class. So I got my dark laundry and after weighing it to assure Baba T. that it weighed at least 3.5 kilograms (apparently she thinks it's not a load until it's 3.5-4.0 kilos in weight!) She turned the hot water on to the machine and I tried to explain that I wanted to wash them in cold water because of the colors and because of my wool socks. This went on for a good 20 minutes. Finally I gave up (due to hunger and exhaustion) and just prayed for God to protect my cloths.
I started fixing my long awaited lunch (it was now 2 pm). Just when I got done eating my burnt chicken and over cooked broccoli (I was still getting used to her stove/oven) I heard Baba T. yelling about something in the bathroom (where the washing machine is located). I ran to her aid to see that the side-door of the machine had swung open and there was about 3” of water on the floor. She was very upset and frantic and we both began mopping up the water with rags (it's hard to believe that the 2 of us even fit in our “quaint” bathroom). I felt terrible, but when I apologized she was quick to let me know that it was not my fault but her washing machine (if I would have been taking notes, I'm sure I could have learned a few curse words). I think we got the water moped up before the first floor tenants were rained on (there weren't any complaints anyway).
I decided this whole afternoon needed a big dose of God's grace and a nap! When I woke up from my nap I found that the laundry was done and that God had taken care of my cloths! There weren't any shrunken socks or funny died shirts . . . only purple underwear! God is so good – I always liked the color purple!
That afternoon went on to be one of my best in Russia thus far. Baba T. came into my room to winterize my window and while she was in there I thought it might be good for me to try reading my homework to her. It not only encouraged and helped me but Baba T. also enjoyed playing the role of my teacher. That night I overheard her telling three different people over the phone about her helping me study! Now it's become routine. She will walk into my room and have a seat in the rocking chair and tell me “it's time for you to tell me your new words.”
Praise God for my new teacher and purple underwear!!!

4 comments:

Kim Fox said...

I can't believe you said underwear on you prayer letter! and you even said what color they were!!! I sure hope Mrs. Miles and Graves doesn't read it or you will be in big trouble! So I love reading your stories it makes me really excited to hear that everything is going so great and that you haven't changed a bit! We miss you!

Karis B said...

Girl- your story made me laugh! WOw i can't belive you are really in Russia- trying to talk Russian- smiling at all the students- sewing- studying and all like thousands of miles away. I miss you and when i see how long your hair is i realize how long it's been since i have seen you. WOw funny Justin was talking to you the other day on Skype- i gotta figure that out. Vanessa i got to go to an african church service this afternoon- it was amazing and the singing was phenominal! It was here in Charlotte NC where i am spending the next 2 weeks in missions training. Some of the gals dnacing to the music were actually persectuted in Africa and had to flee for their lives- they know Jesus in such a different way than i do - but i was so blessed by their joy!!! Girl i love you and pray for you- I am so glad you got an interpreter to share the message with you- this morning i wass in a spanish service and we had an interpreter- i couldn't wait to hear what the passionate speaker was talking about. He shared about Ex 6- God telling Moses he was Elohim- not just majestic- but the all- sufficient- all sovereign- almighty God Unchanging God!!!! That's the God that is walking with us- each day- each step of the way- love ya bunches~ Karis

Vanessa said...

yeah that's right . . . i said underwear!!!!

Barb said...

Sounds so exciting to be there. Hope all works out with your underwear!! LOL