Thursday, October 23, 2008

Russian is Ruling My Life!!!


(Yes, this is my second blog today -- I'm trying to make up for lost time while I have a free hi-speed internet connection!)
The Russian Language is basically kicking my rear! It's stinkin hard and taxing on the brain! Russian is pretty much my new life. I go to class, study, sleep and eat. There doesn't seem to be time for much else.

But God is faithful (He has been showing that to me from the very moment I got here . . . not to mention the long process of getting here!) And He is showing me that that is all that He asks of me! To be faithful (1 Corinthians 4:2 and 1 Thessalonians 5:24)!
After kicking myself for grasping Russian more slowly that I would like, God has been patting me on the back as if to say “It's okay, I appointed you for this very task and all I ask is for you to be faithful”. Few, that takes a lot of pressure off of my back!

Here are some pictures of us in class with one of our wonderful teachers. She uses the stuffed dog to play word and grammar games with us. We have class for 1 ½ hours then a 20 min break and another hour and a half of class. You can see a lovely picture of Jamie enjoying an apple during one of our well deserved breaks...she's going to love that I put this on the web ;)

We always look forward to our weekends. Friday night is our English-fun night at the Orner's. We're developing a tradition of playing cards and watching some type of English-speaking TV show or movie. I praise God for the Orner's fellowship, friendship, study help and cooking! (The last picture is taken at their apartment at the - appropriately named "RV-Kitchen-Table").
So, really – I guess Russian is not really ruling my life – The One who appointed me to learn it is!

1 comment:

disciple de Dieu said...

Three weeks! That's so cool! The adventure is just beginning:)
When I arrived in France I knew enough French to get around so I can imagine not knowing a thing! But it sounds like you're getting along great! I see you've already had a bit of discouragement with language but keep it up and stay close to God. This past week was my hardest spiritually so far. My class is super hard- I'm just keeping my head above water. Then add to that the fact that I am horrible at grammar and it's as if I'm learning two languages! So I sometimes don't understand the words coming out of her mouth or the grammar!!!
Today I went grocery shopping and realized in the checkout that the bus would be arriving at my stop in 15 minutes... and the French are not known for their quickness of service. By God's grace I got out with five minutes to spare so I put my cart back and quick stepped it to the bus. I was praying that it would be late. As I neared the street I saw it approaching so began running to the stop and rushed on. Then I saw another bus behind us... my bus. So I asked the driver if his was also 504 all I could make out from behind the glass behind him was, "You should check what number it is before you get on." So I rode an extra 20 minutes, around the other side of town, walked 400m to the stop I needed and took the correct bus home. Even after 2 months I still do these things, haha :)