Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm trying to post this again... "who needs a coat when you have blubber!"

I am excited to go shopping tomorrow for a warm winter coat that can handle the Siberian winter. Although I'm beginning to wondering if I really need one...
You see I live with a babushka, not just any babushka – a babushka who has a huge garden, is an excellent cook and doesn't take “no thank you” for an answer. Or...could it be that I am trapped in a situation similar to that of Hansel and Gretel?! If this is the case I getter get out while I can still fit through the door!!!!

She truly spoils me! I rarely cook, when I do I usually end up eating multiple lunches or dinners because she will insist on giving me me some of what she is eating too. The other night I made pancakes and offered some to her – surprisingly she took me up on my offer! However, when she realized that my pancakes were pancakes and not bleeny (a traditional Russian pancake that is a very thin like a crape) she was a little more hesitant! She said it was okay and finished eating it but she must of thought that I needed to learn how to cook one properly because the next night she made bleeny and showed me how it was done! I've also had a lesson on making palmeeny (another traditional Russian food that is kinda like a meat dumpling that they put in soup). I couldn't believe how much work goes into making those little things!

Every morning I have a very large breakfast with 7 different open-faces-mini-sandwiches (each with a different topping- roast beef, cheese, cheese spread, tomato and cheese, jam, squash spread and butter) oatmeal, a hard-boiled egg and coffee (my favorite!!!!)

On Tuesday, Baba T. had the Orner's over for the first time. I told her that my friends really wanted to meet her and I asked her if they could come over for tea sometime. Well, “tea” to Baba T. means; an amazing cabbage-meat pie, pickles, sweat roles with jam, cake and tea. I will add that pretty much everything was grown in her garden (even the herbs for the tea!) Needless to say our “tea” was excellent and she enjoyed meeting the Orner's very much. Her son and his family also came for “tea” that night and his wife, K. (an English teacher at the university) was able to translate for us.

2 comments:

CristyLynn said...

Woohoo! It worked! What a great post.
Oh, and I like your profile picture.

brenda said...

Yeah!! so my little dumpling I hope you aren't having nightmares I never did like the Hansel/Gretel story!