Monday, October 20, 2008

My Babushka Blessings

I have been greatly blessed with a wonderful place to live here in Akademgorodok – which comes complete with an advice giving, excellent cooking, loving Babushka! Baba T. is quite possibly the biggest blessing I've found in Russia (yes, even better than peanut butter). She is in her 70's, and agreed to house a foreign student because she had been lonely from her husband's passing 4 months ago. Her daughter-in-law, K. is actually an English teacher at the university. K. has also been a blessing in translating my questions and clearing up confusion between Baba T. and I.

Babushka's are known for “free” instruction and advice. Baba T. and I have had our moments, but God has helped me to conform to her ways of doing laundry, washing dishes and eating. Baba T. has been understanding in situations as well. I've only been scolded for using a Brita water filter, running a fan at night, not sleeping with enough blankets and planning to leave the house with damp hair. Because she views my studies as very important, she often insists on fixing me meals so I can study (which I am becoming more accustomed to and am very thankful for). She even helps me with my homework (which is basically her forcing me to practice pronunciation of words over and over until I get it right)! When she helps me with my pronunciation of words she often gets louder and louder each time she repeats the word to correct me – I often wonder if our neighbors wonder why that crazy woman living next door keeps saying the English equivalent of “pancakes! PANCAKES!” over and over again!

I have so many stories about my experiences of living with Baba T. that I look forward to sharing with you on my blog.

No comments: