Friday, October 3, 2008

My New Дом in Академгородок


I am so thankful for an affordable, comfortable place to live here in Akadem! I am living with a VERY hospitable babushka (grandma)--Baba T.-- in her 2-room apartment. It's a 5-10 minute walk from the Orners and 15-20 minute walk to the school. My room has a nice big desk, futon bed and wardrobe. The bathroom and kitchen are modest but sufficient. Baba T loves to cook and seems to think I need fattening up ;) She is patient with my poor Russian and we are getting pretty good at charades :)

This living situation also comes with some challenges. It's always a little challenging to live with someone you don't know but add to that the cultural differences and a large language barrier. I praise God for this challenge (most of the time, anyway) because it is already forcing me to learn faster and also teaching me more dependence upon God.

There is a lot of vegetables here (tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, squash and tons of different greens). Getting used the the food is going to take some more time, but there is a pizza shop near by--“New York Pizza”--for when I need my American fix! Also, my since of smell is still adjusting to various smells in our apartment (when rooms are small and it's cold outside it's hard to get away from some aromas).

Akadem is beautiful with it's fall colors! It seems as though those colors could be covered up with white any day now! While it might be chili outside, inside is often VERY warm!

The women here dress very fashionably. One classmate of mine put it well when he said “every time I step outside I feel like I entered a fashion show”! I quite often feel out of place for not wearing 4” heels, dressy coat, fancy hat and so on. I asked my friend Jim if I had something on my face because everyone was staring at me. He told me that might be because I wasn't wearing a ton of makeup :) - I guess if the barn needs painted, paint it! . . . just kidding! Jim explained that the outward appearance of most Russians is their only way to express themselves and make their own (most live in rented apartments and don't own cars or property). I rarely see women with tennis shoes, sweat-shirts, back-packs or ear muffs (unless I look in the mirror!)

Because of God's peace, faithfulness and assurance I KNOW that I belong in Akademgorodok. And someday God will help me to FEEL like I belong.

For God is faithful and His blessings are rich!

1 comment:

CristyLynn said...

You are going to get so much practice! I'm so happy for you because practice has been one of the hardest things for me to get.
The women are very similar here! That took some getting used to for me after the casualness of the States. You'll feel more comfortable soon. And I hope that you don't feel pressured to change, if you don't want to--God will use your differences in an amazing way! I've seen it happen just in our first year.
Praying for you!