Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Babushkas' Russian Remedies

Last Thursday I started to feel a cold coming on – you know, with the scratchy throat, runny nose and frequent sneezing. Not thinking too much about it, I told Baba T. that I had a runny nose and was afraid that I was a little bit sick. I should have known that such an action would be followed by “suggested” remedies. Note: a babushka's “suggestion” is nothing short of a command.

I still remember my second week here when I sneezed in my room and Baba T. brought a little jar of minced garlic to me and told me to sniff it every hour and carry it in my purse.

Baba T. has said on a few occasions now, “I am like your mother” - in the context of her giving me “suggestions” - and I'm sure that my mom is grateful that I have her here to watch over me and take care of me as she is 13 time zones away. So here are the Russian remedies I have had the privilege of trying:

Remedy 1: Swallow a spoon full of freshly minced garlic

Remedy 2: Wash your nostrils with all natural fragrance-free soap every time you sneeze or blow your nose

Remedy 3: Hot herbal drinks with honey and lemon or raspberries

Remedy 4: Gargle one glass of warm water with 1 tsp salt, 1/3 tsp baking soda and some bitter yellow liquid stuff that tastes like pine trees (note: you are NOT allowed to brush your teeth afterward)

Remedy 5: NEVER drink anything cold – all beverages must be at least lukewarm

Remedy 6: 1 tbsp vodka with some added herbs when you get up, before lunch and before you go to bed

“Well, did they work?” - I am almost back to health, but to what it can be attributed to I don't know. But the herbal drinks were pretty good and Remedy 6 (which I like to call Russian Nyquil) made me so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. However, in my opinion, the affects of Remedy 1 are simply not worth ANY positive results . . . I will elaborate no further.

I'll be sure to keep you posted as I learn more Russian remedies from my loving, caring Russian babushka who is truly a blessing to me.

3 comments:

brenda said...

It's obvious that your babushka has much more influence over you than your mother! Gotta love her.

CristyLynn said...

Vanessa,

Here are a few more "cures" to prepare yourself, just in case:

Watered-down mouthwash in a teacup, to be drunk, not swished.

Pig fat to be rubbed on the chest.

I just thought that I'd warn you about some other possibilities so that you could prepare yourself. :)

Looking forward to your other posts to come!

Just a Cowgirl said...

Oh ya, the wodka. It'll cure anythin' darlin'!