Friday, March 13, 2009

Cinderella, mohawked prince, giant oranges & a girls-night-out

Two weeks ago, I went to my first ballet. I've been wanting to go since I got here but just hadn't found the time. When I saw that "Zoleshka" (Cinderella) was playing I told Jamie we were going, I bought the tickets and we went even though I was feeling under the weather (more like, under the influence of "Russian NyQuile" - see blog "Russian Remedies" for more on that). We went with our friend from church, Lena - which made our girls-night-out a lot of fun. It was ridiculously cheap - 280 rubles ($8) so I'm pretty sure we're going to have to do it again!

As far as the ballet went, it was a bit . . . random! Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures during the show to to share this modern ballet with you - complete with interesting costumes, a random chorus line of maids, the ugly step sisters dancing with giant oranges, random characters that where suppose to represent the seasons and a very interesting prince charming (with a Mohawk and a one sleeved "belly-jacket"). Not to mention, that Cinderella doesn't lose her slipper - she actually throws it at prince charming before riding her giant wooden horse with wings off the stage.

If you're ever in town - you should probably check it out :)The Orchestra pit

3 comments:

brenda said...

so glad you finally made it to the ballet! Happy for your girls-night-out

Just a Cowgirl said...

Sounds pretty cool to me. I saw a Shakespeare play in London that was sort of like that--A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS' DREAM. Looks like a lot of empty seats or maybe you were there early?

Vanessa said...

yeah, we were there early - but it wasn't a packed house. According to CBS's "Amazing Race" it is the biggest theater in Siberia (though, I'm not sure that's saying much...)