Friday, March 27, 2009

S.A.D. (Singleness Awareness Day)

Really, this Valentine's Day didn't feel too S.A.D. at all . . .

On Valentine's Day, the gals from the church had a Devichnik (slumber party). It was held at one girl's parents' house – a 4 story brick home in a gated community, I sure didn't feel like I was in Siberia any more! We eat, talked, sang, talked, did facial masks, talked and slept a little. It was a ton of fun, good language practice and a great time of getting to know the gals from church better.

We talked a lot about marriage and singleness – a subject that comes up VERY often in this circle of women. Knowing that this would be the topic of conversation, I desired to share with them some of what God had been teaching me about His gift of singleness. Though I didn't feel like I was able to share all that my heart wanted to (because of my limited Russian) I was able to share what an encouragement 1 Corinthians 7:25-35 had been to me. Later on that evening, one of the older ladies from the church shared about her marriage and ended up mentioning several of the things that were on my heart earlier but I didn't know how to say – I was so glad she shared!

My prayer for myself and for these awesome gals is that we would use this gift of singleness to have an “undistracted devotion to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 7:35) All in all, it was probably my best S.A.D. ever :)

Nope, we're not talking in Russian - this is my American friend, Rachel that homeschools M.K.'s in the city and occasionally makes it out to our district/suburb

No comments: